An overview of the, often brutal, impact of the Hague Convention on mothers and children who try to leave abusive relationships. We call on the Hague secretariat to recognise the grave risk & intolerable situation caused by exposure to domestic abuse, and to include this amendment in the Convention.
And, where DA is alleged:
- Pro-bono representation for mothers
- Rebuttable presumption of no return
- Welfare hearing held in a safe location
- Views & wishes of the child to be fully considered
- Restriction on use of protective measures to defeat 13b.
Thank you to presenter and Hague mother Nataly Anderson, to the Hague mothers who contributed, to filmaker Vaishnavi Sundar, and to Dr Rima Hussein of Northumbria University who provided the research funding.